The son of a famous fortune teller, Natsume engages in fortune telling alongside idol work. Though his words and actions are often mysterious, he's serious and hardworking. His singing voice is like a playful prank, and his movements in performances are sharp.
Good afterNOON, Little KitTEN. I’m Natsume Sakasaki. I’m Switch's leaDER, and I belong to the agency New Dimension. Switch is a unit made up of three magiCIANS. Do you want to know what kind of stages we perform ON, and what magic we USE? I’d be glad if you were interesTED. I’ll cast a spell of happiness on YOU....♪ That’s my purPOSE, after ALL. Fufufu, look forward to IT.
Shisho~ is Switch's leader! He's Sora's master in magic and teaches Sora a lot of stuff! He also plays games with Sora~♪ Sora loves Shisho~! And he's really kind, too~♪ Even if he teases Senpai, he shows a warm color when he does it. Looking at that warm color makes Sora's heart warm too~♪ Sora's not that good yet, but Sora wants to become a magician as good as Shisho~!
Natsume is a young man with average height and build. He has golden eyes and red hair which is asymmetrically cut, growing a streak on the left side that goes down to his shoulder, while keeping the rest of his hair at average length. Some of his hair is coloured white, but most of it is red.
While he may come off as mysterious and aloof, Natsume’s actions say otherwise. He’s a good conversationalist, and hard-working. His ability to talk allows him to get along well with most people should he wish it, ensuring him capable of building connections.
In order to protect his image, Natsume presents himself as cool and uninterested, coming and going as he pleases — however, he has a tendency to butt into situations should it concern the people he cares about (such as Shu or Sora). He also has a tendency to push himself to the brink, even if it may be at detriment to his own health, if he believes the result will be of use or protect the people he cares about. However, his monomania can cause him to disregard the outside world, including the people he intends to help, so he can become out of touch and forget about the emotional state of others. Often, he later expresses extreme remorse through constant apologies and sometimes to the point of physical self-punishment.
At times, he is loathe to show his emotions in an honest way, and instead of being straightforward he will instead attempt to obfuscate, or mask it with violence. Despite this, either with the help of people like Sora or Tsumugi or through his own will and/or actions, these feelings often make themselves known in the end, even if he entirely refuses to acknowledge them afterwards.
Even if his words are harsh, Natsume is a genuinely kind person. He often offers help to people in need of it, even if they have wronged him in some way or he isn’t familiar with them. He tends to worry over people in privacy, and attempts to help and boost people’s spirits even if from a distance. He is very aware of his surroundings, so even doesn’t show it outwardly, he will many times take notice if someone is struggling.
Though once interacting with him he turns out to be generally friendly, Natsume dislikes letting himself be truly understood. He will dodge his feelings, and decline requests from peers to participate in any activities, even if his true desires say otherwise. He shuts himself away in secret rooms in order to isolate himself, and when invaded he expresses visceral discomfort. However, over the course of his second year he has come to gradually open up, and slowly allows people into his spaces.
Most of the time, Natsume will attempt to resolve things from a distance and act cool in the face of hardship, in order to hide the fact that he may be affected. Nevertheless, he possesses a reckless streak and can lash out at others and take impulsive risks due to this. He dislikes not having the upper-hand in situations, such as Tsumugi and Anzu being immune to his magic, and so becomes taken aback or frustrated.
Just as how he dances around his positive emotions, when he believes his feelings to be a burden to his loved ones, he will keep it to himself and ignore any attempts made by others to truly understand him. In spite of this, when pushed and provoked enough his true feelings will shine through. Eventually, however, he is able to work through them with the help of others, and Natsume will reflect on them with a sense of regret.
Over the course of his second year, Natsume has improved himself considerably and can deal with his emotions in a healthier manner. However, a part of him prioritizes his image and wants to look good, so for the most part he still attempts to act cool and composed. Regardless, he has and is still in the process of opening up, and genuinely wants the best for others.
- For more information, see: Natsume Sakasaki/Family
- During the "Ensemble Stars!" era, Natsume was one of the additional definitive main characters introduced into the game and storyline.
- Natsume made his "Ensemble Stars!" game debut in the company of Tsumugi Aoba and Sora Harukawa, presenting to audiences as Switch for the first time on August 18, 2016.
- His late entry to the series makes him one of several characters to be revealed after the game's release, also notably including the idols belonging to Valkyrie, MaM, and Eden.
- His sentences always end with katakana; he explained the reason in his first sub story: "By distorting the pronunciation at the end of a sentence, it yields a sense of Discomfort. It is precisely because sound is caught by the ears that scars remain on the Heart. That’s the sort of “good luck charm” it Is."
- In Element, Tsumugi mentions that Natsume used to crossdress as a child. In a tweet, Akira revealed this was the result of an old Japanese tradition to protect young boys with weak constitutions. Natsume seems to find the topic unpleasant whenever Tsumugi brings it up.
- He skips class a lot. The reason for this is that he’s a quick learner and is able to study the materials of a year ahead of his classmates, but he also insists on wanting to spend his time freely without feeling restricted.
- Sometimes he speaks in a different font,
like this. It is still unclear why he speaks that way, but he never ends a sentence with katakana when using this font. However, in his Natsume's first sub story, he speaks in this font, and then remarks that his magic "did not work as expected," so it is likely that when he speaks in this manner, he's "casting a spell," or, in other words, speaking his honest feelings.
- He appears to wear perfume at school, as Makoto and Sora remark he gives off different fragrances depending on the day.
- He can bake.
- He can’t swim.
- He has created many secrets passage around the entire campus, and has also been placing hidden cameras in places such as the secret room.
- Natsume's autograph consists of his first name written in Roman letters. The individual letters overlap each other partially, and it features a star at the end.
- He loves all games, but he absolutely hates losing.
- He believes education is a form of brainwashing.
Voice Actor Comment
"I think Natsume-kun is Switch’s brain. He becomes Switch’s compass and operates it. Even if the three of them are looking at different directions, they’re moving towards the same direction—probably the fact that they’re scattered is what evokes a sense of unity, which is a rare pattern that is unprecedented.
There’s always something behind every word that Natsume-kun says, or rather, I think he’s a person that carries a sense of responsibility in every word he says. And those around him can’t tell how much he stays true to his words. I think that slightly mysterious part of him is his charm. I want to know him more, but maybe it’s also better not to. I also like fortune-telling, so I can relate to him a bit." (Enstars!)
|Switch||Natsume Sakasaki • Tsumugi Aoba • Sora Harukawa|