An idol who loves the ocean, and is searching for his own way to live as a human being. He has a calm and carefree personality, and his home is the aquarium. He physically feels suffocated without water. With a softly swaying singing voice, his performances are relaxed.
He is RYUSEI Blue in Starmaker Production's RYUSEITAI.
Kanata is a tall young man with a good build. His hair is a cyan color, cut short, and slightly wavy. Kanata has a curved ahoge on the top of his head and has light green, narrow eyes.
On stage, he wears the blue color version of RYUSEITAI's uniform. It includes a black and white leather jacket with blue accents and gold trimming and detailing. The jacket is longer on the back than it is in the front, and the inside is designed with a sparkly purple fabric, reminiscent of a galaxy. He wears a black shirt underneath and a gold necklace with a blue star as well as white form-fitting pants with a sparkly purple stripe down the outer sides. This is accessorized with a blue and white striped belt with a gold and blue star-shaped buckle. The belt has golden strings dangling from it and a sparkly blue and white wrap tied to it. He also wears tall blue boots with white accents and gold detailing, along with a pair of black fingerless gloves.
Kanata's first name is homophonous with the word 彼方, meaning "faraway". His last name means "deep sea". The provenance for Kanata's name is likely linked to various of his physical and personality traits, such as his hair color, his fascination with marine life, and his color in his idol unit.
- Kanata's autograph consists of his full name rendered in hiragana, inside a drawing of a footballfish.
- Kanata only "speaks" in hiragana, never in kanji and katakana, which reflects his slow way of speaking. According to Arashi, he also writes in all hiragana, which causes the teachers trouble when grading.
- The only word he says in its proper spelling is hero ヒーロー. The one time he didn't is when he first heard the word in his first year in school.
- During Enstars! era, he often used to soak in the school's water fountain. In Enstars!! era, he soaks in the pond in ES's Floating Garden.
- Apparently, he can communicate with sea creatures. His ancestors could do it as well.
- Kanata’s usual Ryusei Blue intro is not actually the proper introduction for Ryusei Blue; instead, he uses a personalized version. Chiaki has recited the proper version before.
- It has been mentioned multiple times that Kanata is much stronger than he looks, since he is the one who transports the fish tanks of the Marine Life club room. Kuro has even stated that Kanata is so strong, it's unknown who would win in an arm wrestling match between the two of them.
- Kanata has never read manga before, not until Keito showed him one. He says that it's because whenever he attempts to read any book, it becomes wet and unreadable.
- Kanata has shown to have an interest in crafts. He made seashells by hand for a miniature fish tank he has given to Anzu,  and has also crafted many small stuffed fish similar to the Atlantic footballfish keychain he gave to Midori.
Voice Actor Comment
"Shinkai-kun seems like a guy who would share with you all sorts of trivia if you were to go to the beach with him. He can't actually swim--throw him in the water and he'd sink like a stone, but I can't swim, either, so that works out perfectly (laugh). He does everything in his own pace, and he kind of has a mysterious air. At the same time, there's something about him that draws you in and makes it impossible to leave him to his own devices, so I'm personally very interested in this character. I look forward to seeing how he'd develop and how he'd interact with the other characters around him." (Enstars!)
|RYUSEITAI||Chiaki Morisawa • Kanata Shinkai • Tetora Nagumo • Midori Takamine • Shinobu Sengoku|